Veggie Bean Crumble
Before you get started, please watch our food safety video here.
This crumble is suitable for vegetarians if you follow the recipe, or without the cheese it is suitable for vegans. It serves 4 grown ups.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped or grated
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mixed dried herbs or 2 tablespoons of fresh chopped herbs
- 2 yellow or red peppers, chopped
- 8 white mushrooms, chopped
- 400g tin mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste or sundried tomato paste
For the topping:
- 100g fresh breadcrumbs
- 75g grated cheese
- 25g sunflower seeds
- Heat the oil in a saucepan and add the chopped onion and garlic. Fry for a couple of minutes, then add the herbs.
- Add peppers and mushrooms and stir, then add the tomatoes, beans and tomato paste.
- Bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix the topping ingredients together.
- Spoon the tomato mixture into an oven or microwaveable container and then carefully spoon on the topping.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes at 200ºC or cook in the microwave for 90 seconds at a time, until bubbling and piping hot.
Nutrition, re-heating and swaps!
If the crumble becomes a family favourite, make twice as much as you need and freeze half for another day. It will take about a day to defrost, but then can be reheated in the microwave.
It is low in fat, low in salt, cheap to make (around 80p a portion) and contains 3 of your 5 a day, or more if you serve with another vegetable like peas! It contains protein in the form of beans, mushrooms and cheese.
If you don’t have exactly what is in the recipe try these ‘Swaps’:
- Swapping mixed beans for kidney or cannellini beans
- Using whatever vegetables you have – frozen mixed vegetables work well
- Add in 250g beef mince instead of mushrooms
- Make a crumble topping with flour, oats and butter instead of breadcrumbs
- If you don’t have time to make the topping, serve the beany stew with garlic bread or baked potatoes
- If you like nuts, put some mixed chopped nuts in the breadcrumb topping.