This lasagne is suitable for vegetarians and serves 4 grown ups.
- 2 tablespoons of oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and grated
- 1 red pepper, diced
- ½ yellow pepper, diced
- Handful of spinach
- Handful of mushrooms, chopped
- 1 courgette, chopped into small pieces
- Handful of fresh basil and 1 teaspoon dried oregano or 2 teaspoons of dried mixed herbs
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- Lasagne sheets
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 200ml crème fraiche
- 125g cheddar, grated
- Heat the oil in a large pan.
- Add the onions and garlic and soften.
- Stir in the peppers, courgette, mushrooms and spinach and soften for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato puree, basil and oregano, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In an oven proof dish build up layers of the sauce and lasagne sheets, finishing with a lasagne sheet.
- Top with a layer of crème fraiche and grated cheddar.
- Bake at 180°C for 30 minutes or microwave on 70% for 5-8 minutes (or until piping hot) and leave to stand covered for 2 minutes before eating.
Nutrition, re-heating and swaps!
The lasagne is low in salt, low in fat, and cheap to make (around 80p a portion) and contains 2 of your 5 a day. It contains protein in the form of mushrooms, spinach, crème fraiche and cheese. For more protein, try wholemeal lasagne sheets.
This lasagne will keep for up to 3 days in the fridge before it is cooked, and can be frozen either before or after it is cooked. If you freeze it, make sure it is fully thawed before you cook/reheat it.
If you don’t have exactly what is in the recipe try these ‘Swaps’:
- A leek instead of an onion
- Frozen spinach instead of fresh spinach.
- Frozen peas and sweetcorn instead of courgette.
- A grated or finely chopped carrot instead of the yellow pepper
- Some white fish, like coley, chopped up and added when you layer the lasagne together
- Adding a tin of cannellini beans to the tomato sauce just before you layer the lasagne up or adding 100g red lentils and 200ml water when you add the tin of tomatoes (these both add protein)
- Some sliced tomato on to the top of the lasagne
- If you don’t have lasagne sheets, boil some other pasta shapes for 5-8 minutes, mix with the tomato sauce and pour into an oven proof dish. Spoon over the crème fraiche and cheese and cook for the same time.
- Serve with a green salad or homemade coleslaw for another portion of your 5 a day!