This recipe serves 4 grown ups as a side dish, or 2 as a main meal. It's suitable for vegetarians.
- 200g couscous
- 1 vegetable stock cube & 250ml hot water
- 225g fresh or frozen broad beans or peas
- 1 tin of chickpeas, washed and drained
- 1 punnet of cherry tomatoes, finely chopped
- Half a cucumber, diced
- 2 spring onions
- 2 handfuls of raisins or grapes
- Two handfuls of chopped fresh herbs like fresh mint, parsley, coriander or chives
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and black pepper, to season
- Dissolve the stock cube in hot water.
- Pour the couscous into a bowl with the peas/beans and add the stock. Cover, and leave for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the tomatoes, cucumber, and spring onions.
- Tear the herb leaves into small pieces.
- Fluff up the couscous with a fork (if it looks a bit dry add a little more boiling water), and then add all the other ingredients.
- Make a dressing from the olive oil and lemon juice, with salt and pepper to taste. Drizzle this over the salad.
Store in the fridge and eat within 3 days.