Before you get started, please watch our food safety video here.
This salad is suitable for vegetarians.
- 2 raw red beetroots
- 1 red cabbage
- 2 red onions, finely sliced
- 6 baby gem lettuces
- 4 limes
- 1 bunch coriander
- 4 tablespoons rapeseed oil or olive oil
For the slaw
- Grate the beetroot and red cabbage into a large bowl, then add the red onions.
- Season with a good pinch of sugar and salt (about 5g of each).
- Leave to the side to cure for about 10 minutes, although longer is better.
For the dressing
- In a small bowl, zest (grate) the green part of the lime on the smallest side of the grater.
- Add the juice, oil and roughly chopped coriander, keeping some back to garnish the final dish.
- Separate the gem lettuce into leaves as we will use these as cups.
- Arrange on a plate and fill with the slaw.
- Add the dressing and sprinkle with the remaining coriander.